Interesting commentary on Black Gay Life. We will give you a daily dose of our take on the world out there, while also bringing you the latest in entertainment. Please feel free to comment and tell us what you think about any of the posts. Also, if you think there is a topic we should feature please email and let us know.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Don't Ask, Don't Tell; Should You, Would You?

A common phrase used when joking about "gays in the military", the Don't Ask, Don't Tell Policy was implemented during the Clinton Administration forcing gay servicemembers deep into the closet if they wanted to remain in the military. Now it's one thing to keep yourself in the closet, but to have to do so for fear of losing your job puts a whole new spin on things.

I decided to post this after reading about Robert Stout, a soldier wounded in an attack in Iraq and discharged from the Army for being gay; after a campaign to remain in the Army but as an openly gay soldier. The 23 yr-old Stout said he was open among most of his 26-member all male platoon and knew a tons of gay men that would be more than willing to stay in the Army if they could just be open.

I'd like to use this story as a premise for a discussion about openess in the work place. The military is one extreme example of the conflicts of sexual orientation and occupation. How many of us know of gays or have been with someone in the military? What pressure does being gay add to life on your job, such as questions about why aren't you married, or who's that special woman in your life, etc? I'd like to hear from you!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well in my line of work, I would never be able to tell anyone about what I do in my bed, nor do I feel it's anyone's business. I'm not walking around wearing an I'm gay tie, I mean the straight people don't have to tell me their straight so why should I come out. What I do is my business.

11:41 PM

 
Blogger dondon009 said...

The sad part of being and choosing to remain in the closet is that "you are living a lie", and eventually you will be "outed" which to me is far more embaressing than being up front about your sexuality. I have never shouted "I'm Gay", from rooftops but if someone has asked I say, "yes, I am Gay... is that a problem?" I am very fortunagte that the company I work for (1200 employees) has a complete antidiscrimination clause which includes "sexual orientation".

7:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a real problem with this issue. Being gay, str8, or bi is not anyones concern but your own. It's unfortunate that we feel the need to know what someone else does, whether work, play, romantically, or sexually. It is no ones elses business and I make it absolutely clear to anyone that would wants to ask, don't bother asking. It's not your concern or has anything to do with your life whether at work or play. I am responsible for my actions and I suggest such people who want to know pay less attention to mine and stay focused on your own....After that then nothing else is said. As far as the military and it actions, it's wrong and should be condemned for taking such action. Believe me there are alot of gays in the military from officers to lower enlisted. This attitude the military has taken will pass in time. It will have no choice.

8:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it'll change in time i think. the rest of the developed post-industrial world lets gays serve openly, so we will too so we dont get called backwards. it's bad for the pax imperia-Americana.

im dating a military guy. it can be rough.

1:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home