Interesting commentary on Black Gay Life. We will give you a daily dose of our take on the world out there, while also bringing you the latest in entertainment. Please feel free to comment and tell us what you think about any of the posts. Also, if you think there is a topic we should feature please email and let us know.

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Should I come out in the local paper?


I received an e-mail yesterday from a writer at the Patriot-News (The local paper here in PA's capital city). She is interested in doing an article on local bloggers, and invited me to participate. I must say, I was very pleased to get the invitation, but as I started thinking about it I realized something...I have never officially had my "coming out". Now, I am sure some of you might be rolling on the floor at this point, because obviously I have my picture posted on this blog, as well as in my profile (hopefully you wont find it online anywhere else), and those of you who know me personally may be saying...it's no secret, but seriously I have never officially "come out". I have been living in a middle ground of sorts...I don't tell, and no one asks. I would imagine that some of the most shocked folks might be my colleagues at the 9-5, then again they might not be shocked at all. I really think I should do it, because black gay men have to stop being a stereotype, or even worse, this silent segment of society. While we are hiding, we have no voice. Who knows...if and when the story makes it to print I will let you guys know...if I don't chicken out!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think long and hard about it and make the decision you think is best. I say GO FOR IT. I also say, you're a better man than me. lol...

8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, go for it -- if anything, it's excellent PR.

2:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there-

The article was published today:
http://www.pennlive.com/living/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/living/1131013201327600.xml&coll=1&thispage=1
http://www.pennlive.com/living/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/living/1130927046198111.xml&coll=1

4:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home